Skip to main content

October 1st

& so it begins!

 The first day of the month, which is arguably the first day of Halloween. It's a Sunday so this story is pre-written. I wrote this piece back in the middle of August, but it seems like just yesterday when I had put words on paper. 

Bird of Prey

There once was a bird of prey
He lived in the forest / Just like all the other birds
He slept in the day & stood awake at night
Just like many other / But he didn't like eating prey
Se he settled for corn, bread scraps, other grains
-
One day an eagle was passing through town, awake at night
She asked him, "Why do you go for what no one else wants?"
"Why are you not asleep?" he said, not wanting to look into himself
The eagle seemed amused, "I find what's best for me."
-
& so the nights went by, & she never left town
"Why do you stay when there's nothing left for you?"
When asked, she gave him a look of interest, staring deeply into him as he searched on
The bird of prey scanned the soil, then found heaven to be more interesting
She flew up, perched on a branch, & said
"Where I go, I look for what I need. & If I don't find anything else of use, I move on." she flew south
Taking into consideration what was said, the bird swooped down to grab a mouse. To justify his actions, he flew off, North.


Written August 12th, 2017

Comments